top of page

Crossfield No.48 History

Early History - Excerpts from the Record Book 1910 - 1928

On the evening of April 8, 1910, Crossfield Masonic Lodge A F & A M No.48, was empowered to work under a dispensation.  The institutional ceremonies were conducted by dignitaries from Grand Lodge along with members of the order, all Master Masons, who had by then moved into the Crossfield area.  Five petitions for initiation were received and accepted that same night.  At the close of the meeting, light refreshments and cigars were passed.  The regular meeting of each month was to he held on Friday closest to the full moon.  The next year, the meeting day was changed from Friday to Tuesday.  From that time on, regular and emergent meetings have been held by this Lodge.  The first meetings were held on the second floor of the store owned by William Urquhart.  This was the first building in the village of Crossfield having been erected in 1902, by James McCool.

In April 1911, the Lodge accepted a proposal from D.J. McKay who was building a machine shop on the North side of Nanton Street.  He offered to add a second floor to the building which would be fitted as a Lodge room and leased to the Masonic Lodge.  The first meeting in the new hall was held in August.  Consecration ceremonies were conducted in December at which time the charter was presented, dated June 1, 1911. 

In 1921, the Lodge purchased the building and lots for $700, less the unused portion of rent. 

October 1920, Bro. Williams presented the Lodge with a secretary's desk which he had made from lumber supplied by Bro. McLees, screw-nails and varnish from Bro. Wm. Laut.  The desk was highly appreciated as the Lodge had been using a makeshift up to this time. 

The January 1924 minutes report the disastrous fire in which the Lodge building was reduced to ashes along with the piano, furniture, working tools and the attendance register.  However, the carpet, charter, pictures and records were saved.  The building and contents were fully covered by insurance to the amount of $1500.  Temporary arrangements were made for the use of the IOOF hall and the insurance was invested in government bonds. 

History: About Us

1928 - Present

A New Lodge

In January 1928, a committee was named to investigate the possibility of building a new hall.  Shortly, a plan was submitted for a new Logde to be built.  This was accepted and the committee was instructed to purchase a site from Mr. Laut, at the south end of his property.  Work on the new hall was commenced in August and on December 7, the hall being completed, dedication ceremonies were held.  The hall was crowded to capacity with visiting Lodge and dignitaries all whom paid high tribute to the beautiful new building. 

When the new Lodge building was designed in 1928 it was built around the dimensions of this carpet.

Our new hall has seen use by many of the community’s organizations such as the Eastern Star, Rebekahs, Carstairs No.20 and Airdrie Wildrose Lodge No.2001.  The lower hall has been rented by numerous lessee’s thru the years for many different functions and was used for many years by Crossfield Pre-School.

Our Lodge has had a long association with the Order of the Eastern Star and our local Starlight Chapter 109 was instituted in 1951.  They have been active participants with us in many of our social functions and events.

Our Lodge has a long history of enjoying our social events and we have been fortunate to have many visitors and other community members attend our functions.  Our annual Ladies Night in November has always been well attended as is our curling bonspiel, crib tournament, golf tournament, Mothers Day breakfast, Car Rally and most other things that we dream up.  You can usually find members of our Lodge at the annual spring workshop.

 In many cases it is a direct result of these social functions that we find new candidates that are interesting in finding out what it is that we do.  We have been very fortunate to find new candidates who are of a like mind, charitable, community oriented and who look to be part of something that will stand the test of time.  Sometimes we don’t have to look far from the tree as we have many members who are sons, grandsons, nephews, brothers or sons-in-law’s and cousins of current members that work alongside both new and established members of the community.

 But that’s not the end of our story, just another chapter.  As out legacy we have been left with a vibrant, engaged and financially stable Lodge that still maintains the original core values upon which it founded, fraternity, charity and community.  We look forward to the next chapter of history of Crossfield No.48.

History: Text
bottom of page